[rt-users] rt 3.8.4 case sensitivity for e-mail addresses

Graeme Fowler G.E.Fowler at lboro.ac.uk
Sun Sep 27 11:02:53 EDT 2009

Jerrad Pierce wrote:
> Well something's wacky with your installation.

It was indeed (I work with Garry)...

During the upgrade the application of the sql-queries script to modify
various tables we got a bit of output saying:

"Duplicate entry '[chinese chars]' for key 2"

The script, however, seemed to complete. After a lot of digging on
Friday to compare/contrast charsets, collations and so on I found that
the Users table was mainly using data types of varbinary - it should be
varchar.

Somehow, in the past, a user had been created on submission of a spam
case which had a "nul" character in the email address or name. During
conversion it appeared that the "nul" truncated the data used in the
table's index, making it use the same first three chars as another entry.

To fix it I had to drop the index, find the duplicates, shred them (so
they were fully removed), recreate the index, then complete the table's
conversion. Following that we had to reassign cases, transactions and so
on to the right principals and then remove several others. It ended up
being stupidly long-winded, and all because we didn't fully understand
the original warning message.

We now have no case sensitivity (which is a relief!).

Graeme