[rt-users] Frustrating attempts to install RT3.8 from RPM

Wes Modes wmodes at ucsc.edu
Wed Nov 3 14:21:38 EDT 2010

Paul, sounds like you aren't a long term fan of Fedora, RHEL, or CentOS,
so I'm guessing yum feels like an inconvenience to you, especially when
it seems to be getting in the way of your desired install.

I've been a sysadmin for 20 years and I've never been a fan of the make
'n' break style of system administration.  There is no way I could
manage a score of machines, many with subtly different hardware, if I
had to build every package the old way.  As it is, I can spend a few
hours monthly updating the OS and all installed software on all of our
machines, with a simple "yum -y update"

In my opinion, package managers like apt-get and yum are some of the
best things to happen to OS in a very long time.  Having installs
tracked and managed by package managers keeps complicated OSs and their
installed software up-to-date, eases system administration (especially
as the server to sysadmin ratio increases), increases scalability,
increases sysadmin efficiency, and creates standards for software
manufacturers.

If as a conservative sysadmin you prefer to operate well-back from the
bleeding edge anyway, the small trade-off in control is a small price to
pay.

It is hardly the package manager's fault if a software manufacturer such
as Best Practical and its user community fail to create a package for
the latest software.  Compare that to software whose RPMs are kept
relatively up-to-date.

Wes