[rt-users] custom fields (simple?) question

Kenneth Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 11 12:28:25 EDT 2010

Carlos,

RT is designed to allow flexibility when granting permissions. I can grant
"MosifyTicket" to someone, but that doesn't mean they can create comments or
update Custom Fields. The "ModifyTIcket" right is for the basic MetatData
fields you find in a Ticket. Comments are separate. So are Custom Fields. If
you take a close look at the rights you can grant a group (I say group
because we don't really like to grant rights to individual users. WAY TOO
MUCH maintenance when you have to modify/grant the same rights to a bunch of
people. We put them in groups. Much easier) you will see "ModifyTicket",
"CommentOnTicket". This allows you to grant the right to make commonets on a
ticket, but not the MetaData in the TIcket. Same for Email. Custom FIelds
allow granting rights by "Group".I can create a Queue, apply a Custom FIeld
to it and yet NEVER grant rights to see or modify that Custom Field because
I want ONLY RT to do it thru scrips. Let's say I wanted a "TimeStamp" for
every Transaction (Just an example). I could create the CF, apply it to a
Queue and then modify that CF with the current Date/Time whenever a
transaction goes against a ticket. In the DataBase, the old Ticket Custom
Field would be disabled (but still visable via SQL) and a new one created as
a OBJECTCUSTOMFIELDVALUES Table record.
I could also grant"SeeCustomField" to a certain group of users and they
would be able to SEE it, but not Modify it. I could also create a Custom
Field, grant all sorts of rights to it, but not apply it to any Queue. NO
one would be able to see it or modify it because it wouldn't exist for any
ticket in any Queue because it was not applied.
SOOOO in your situation, when you went to Config->CustomFields->Group Rights
... what rights did you give to what group of users?
Check it out and let me know. Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL