[rt-users] Date Custom Field in RT 4

Wayne Thursby wayne.thursby at hcmeinc.com
Tue May 17 16:42:04 EDT 2011

The date custom field is a welcomed addition, and opens up a lot of
possibilities. Everything works great, but I've noticed one assumption it
makes that is, at least in my case, an incorrect one.

Instead of selecting dates from calendars, my users type in dates manually.
I am in America, so this follows the (admittedly silly) format of "MM/DD/YY"

If the users manually type in a date such as the 25th of August, 2010 as
"8/25/10", the date is correctly interpreted by the custom field.

However, when a more ambiguous date is entered, such as the 9th of August,
2010, the date is incorrectly parsed as being in the international (and more
rational) format of "DD/MM/YY". This turns the user's intended input,
"8/9/10" into meaning the 8th of September, 2010.

Computers are typically easier to configure than users. Is the default
format for date CustomFields configurable? If not, should I file a feature
request?

Wayne Thursby
System Administrator
Healthcare Management Enterprises, Inc.