[rt-users] Using Ajax with Mason in RT

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri Aug 17 11:50:03 EDT 2012

On 08/17/2012 04:30 AM, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> If there is one thing that's annoyed me about my whole experience with
> RT it's the way errors either get eaten up or mis-reported.  I don't
> know if that's the fault of Perl, Mason or RT, but I frequently find
> myself having to put RT::Logger->debug statements every other line just
> so I can figure out where it's silently failing, and then minutely
> examining the line to discover that (as happened yesterday) I had an
> extra $ in front of a variable name.

Rarely in my experience do things completely silently fail.  If you run
across such reproducible cases where an error completely disappears,
file a bug report.

Mason often gets line numbers right, but sometimes doesn't because of
the way it's implemented.

If you're not in a Mason special block (<%args>, <%flags>), most pure
Perl errors (from % lines or <%perl> or <%init>) are fairly explanatory.

The special blocks are, well, special and Not Quite Perl.