[rt-users] Installing RT via Puppet

Mister Guru misteritguru at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 23:12:24 EDT 2012

On 20 September 2012 03:16, Jason A. Smith <smithj4 at bnl.gov> wrote:
> On 09/19/2012 10:00 PM, Mister Guru wrote:

>>> I think you'll find it easier to achieve cross-platform installation if
>>> you abandon dist-specific packages of RT and install RT itself from
>>> source (via puppet, of course).
>>>
>>> I'd also suggest starting with version 4 not 3.8; 3.8 is approaching end
>>> of life. [1]
>>>
>>> [1] http://blog.bestpractical.com/2012/08/release-scheduling.html
>>

>> Darn!! Well, it still is good advice - My Puppet-Fu is about to be
>> stretched! - I'll make a note on github, and start thinking about how
>> best to accomplish this - as always, advice and comments are welcome.
>

> As a sysadmin who has also been using puppet for a few years now, I would
> prefer native packages over an installation from source.

I am right behind you on this one!

>Doing a source
> package install with puppet would probably require a custom install script
> or a bunch of ugly exec resources.

I've just discovered this during my research into the matter

>Doing it with native packages would just
> require configuring the appropriate package repo, like EPEL for RedHat
> (since that is what we use here I don't know what the equivalent
> debian/ubuntu would be), then install the required packages and
> configuration files. This is much cleaner from both a sysadmin point of view
> and puppet, although you would have to account for the different package
> repo locations, package names and possibly config file locations for the
> different OSes. Also, EPEL is still currently on 3.8, but hopefully they
> will upgrade soon.
>
> ~Jason

Thanks Jason for your input - I'm currently trying to get hold of the
ubuntu package maintainer for RT. I'm currently wading through
launchpad, trying to find who to kick to get this moving - I've
dropped a line to the ubuntu users list, so hopefully I'll get some
assistance with this soon.

Thanks again.