[rt-users] Customize Notifications (on correspond send e-mail to all requestors and Ccs)

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Wed Sep 26 20:19:56 EDT 2012

On 09/25/2012 02:28 AM, Bart wrote:
> By default, when you have a ticket and linked a few requestors and cc's
> to that ticket RT will send an e-mail to everyone when someone sends an
> e-mail to RT with the ticket ID in the subject.
> We\re looking for the ability to disable this feature for a few queue's.

Do you want to disable it only for incoming email to the ticket or all
on replies to the ticket including those from the web?

> The problem however is that I'm unable to figure out which scrip I need
> to modify to achieve this, I'm guessing between the following scrips but
> I keep breaking unwanted things when I disable one of them:
>
>   * On Correspond Notify Other Recipients
>   * On Correspond Notify Requestors and Ccs
>   * On Comment Notify Other Recipients as Comment

"On Correspond Notify Requestors and Ccs" is the default scrip shipped
with RT which handles the behaviour you described above.

"On Correspond Notify Other Recipients" handles the One-time Cc and
One-time Bcc fields in the web UI and technically may be triggered by
incoming email as well with the headers RT-Send-Cc and RT-Send-Bcc.
Most of the time this scrip only fires on web replies.

"On Comment ..." deals only with comments, not replies (correspondence).

> When looking around I found the extension
> RT::Extension::NotificationMatrix but it doesn't really seem to exist on
> the CPAN pages + installation instructions aren't available for
> installing this plugin from the Git repository.
>
> Apart from the nice find, I'm not jumping on the idea of using this
> extension when there's barely any documentation available.

Your intuition is correct.  NotificationMatrix is a nice idea in
concept, but the implementation in the git repo has a few... quirks.
It's also a) only compatible with 3.8 and b) built upon a subsystem of
RT that's getting removed in 4.2.

> So my main question is how to disable the described notification
> behavior when someone sends a reply to a ticket? Which scrip do I
> disable or edit for this behavior to change?

If you're looking to disable ALL redistribution of replies to tickets,
both via email and the web, you can disable the first two scrips you
list above (change their "Stage" to "disabled").

Since these are global scrips, however, that'll affect all queues.  To
only affect certain queues, you can create an intentionally blank
Correspondence template in each desired queue.  (The On Correspond
scrips you mention above use the Correspondence template unless you've
changed it to something else.)  Queue level templates override global
ones with the same name for tickets in that queue, and blank templates
suppress mail.

Hopefully that helps.

Thomas