[rt-users] rt-mailgate error 302 with WebExternalAuth and Apache OpenID module

Thomas Klump Thomas.Klump at exodec.com
Tue Feb 12 23:00:20 EST 2013

I'm working on implementing RT with OpenID. I started with a basic installation of RT and I created some test tickets from within the webui and via email. Everything worked great. I then started to implement OpenID for authentication. I tried using the RT OpenID plugin but I was never able to get that to work and there was very little documentation out there about it. I then decided to install WebExternalAuth use the Apache OpenID module for authentication. I was able to get this to work and now the web interface works great. Unfortunately, now the rt-mailgate is no longer working. When I email the queue the following error is logged in the maillog:

Feb 13 03:17:03 sendmail[20134]: r1D3Gsht020130: to="|/usr/local/rt/bin/rt-mailgate --queue 'Customer Service' --action correspond --url http://rt.example.com/", ctladdr=<customerservice at rt.example.com<mailto:customerservice at rt.example.com>> (8/0), delay=00:00:08, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=prog, pri=123857, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: prog mailer (/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL

I then tried testing it from command line with the following results:

# (echo Subject: test; echo; echo test) |/usr/local/rt/bin/rt-mailgate --queue 'Customer Service' --action correspond --url http://rt.example.com --debug
/usr/local/rt/bin/rt-mailgate: temp file is '/tmp/b4OHJlWSwH/Kgebhr0hI2'
/usr/local/rt/bin/rt-mailgate: connecting to http://rt.example.com/REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway
An Error Occurred
=================

302 Found

/usr/local/rt/bin/rt-mailgate: undefined server error

I then switched back to normal authentication methods in my apache virtualhost config and then rt-mailgate would process emails successfully. Here is my apache vituralhost configuration that seems to be the problem:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        # Optional apache logs for RT
        # ErrorLog /usr/local/rt/var/log/apache2.error
        # TransferLog /usr/local/rt/var/log/apache2.access
        # LogLevel debug

        AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
        DocumentRoot "/usr/local/rt/share/html"

        <Location />
# If I comment out the section below and uncomment the two lines below that everything works
                AuthType OpenID
                require valid-user
                AuthOpenIDTrusted ^http://www.example.com/$
                AuthOpenIDUseCookie On
                AuthOpenIDSingleIdP http://www.example.com
                AuthOpenIDTrustRoot http://rt.example.com
                AuthOpenIDCookieName rt_auth_cookie
                AuthOpenIDSecureCookie Off

#               Order allow,deny
#               Allow from all

                SetHandler modperl
                PerlResponseHandler Plack::Handler::Apache2
                PerlSetVar psgi_app /usr/local/rt/sbin/rt-server
        </Location>
        <Perl>
                use Plack::Handler::Apache2;
                Plack::Handler::Apache2->preload("/usr/local/rt/sbin/rt-server");
        </Perl>
</VirtualHost>

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Thomas Klump