[rt-users] RT-Extension-LDAPImport vs RT External Auth plugin modules

Nathan Cutler presnypreklad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 16:29:44 EDT 2013

> The RT Server itself is bound by LDAP Authentication using libpam-ldap modules. So Active Directory Authentication is defiantly working as I am logging into this machine with my AD creds. It is binding using the same username and password that I have in my RT External Auth config. I haven’t setup the RT-Extension-LDAP module yet. I just wanted to get some insite on how it worked compared to the other. Will this module work standalone or do you have to use it in conjunction with the RT External Auth plugin?

Hi Jeff:

(Be sure to reply to the list)

As Kevin just wrote, LDAPImport is useless for authentication, so you
would only want to use it if you need to get info (not passwords) for
a bunch of users into the RT database all at once. The reason why I
recommended it was that "bind w/password" might be more difficult to
get working than "anonymous bind", which is what LDAPImport uses. So
LDAPImport might be a stepping stone to ExternAuth.

Just an idea.