[rt-users] Configure Role Rights Globally?

Tim Wiley tim at marchex.com
Thu Jul 11 17:49:58 EDT 2013

On 07/11/2013 02:42 PM, Elliott, Kevin C (DOR) wrote:
> I have a new install of Request Tracker 4.0.7 and am working through the
> very granular Rights structure. I’m planning on implementing a number of
> queues, some of which will be managed by IT personnel in departments
> other than my own.
>
> I’m wondering how people configure their Role (AdminCC, Cc, Owner and
> Requestor) rights – specifically whether or not they configure them on a
> per-queue basis or globally? To me, it makes conceptual sense to
> configure Role rights globally because regardless of what queue someone
> is working in, Requestors will need ReplyToTicket and ShowTicket and so
> on for each Role. Is there any obvious drawback to this approach? It
> seems unnecessarily tedious to assign the same Rights to each Role for
> each Queue.
>
> I would appreciate the input from someone more experienced with Request
> Tracker.
>
> Thank you.

This is precisely how we do those roles.

Requestor & Cc:
* ReplyToTicket
* ShowTicket

AdminCc:
* CommentOnTicket
* ReplyToTicket
* ShowTicket
* ShowTicketComments

As for owner, they'll already have rights in the queue by virtue of
being a worker in it.  At least in my setup they do.  It seems to work
pretty well for giving permissions to users that have a vested interest
in a given ticket, but not having specific permissions in the queue.