[rt-users] External custom fields: unable to change "categories are based on"

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Jul 25 12:29:02 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 02:00:05AM +0000, Michael Gerow wrote:
> I'm trying to use external custom field values from a database of mine
> and am having a weird issue where the option to select the "Categories
> are based on" field is gone after selecting a Fields value source (it
> just seems
> to disappear).

Unfortunately, it appears that External CFs can't have Categories at
this time (the code explicitly forbids it)

> Also, and this may be unrelated, I don't seem to be able to change
> the Fields values source field from my external values back to "Provide
> list of values below".  It lets the change happen in the UI, but it
> resets back
> after I click "Save Changes".

I believe this to be fixed if you upgrade.
http://bestpractical.com/rt/release-notes/4.0.11

"External Custom Fields can now be changed back to internal Custom Fields in the CF Admin UI"

-kevin