[rt-users] Problem with mail bounce

Guadagnino Cristiano guadagnino.cristiano at creval.it
Fri May 10 10:03:00 EDT 2013

There definitely is something weird with the way the "reply-to" header is treated from RT.

I did some more tests on a quite clean test system (RT 3.8.10) and I always get a "permission denied" error as soon as I add the reply-to header.

By enabling debug logs I see RT thinks he is receiving the email message from the address in the "reply-to" header instead of the "from" header.
That would also explain why I was getting the "RT Received mail ( ) from itself." message in my previous experiments.

I know I'm not on the latest release... is this a known problem (already fixed, maybe)?

I also found very old references to this same problem in the mailing list archives (without meaningful replies).

Bye
Cris

Guadagnino Cristiano wrote:
Hi all,
we have a problem when we need to forward a ticket (or part of it) to someone who is not a requestor or CC of the ticket itself.

RT currently has a limitation on the forward operation, in that it doesn't allow to add a comment to the forwarded message. This is not acceptable, because the receiving end will not know why he/she receives the message and what we're talking about.

To overcome this limitation we usually proceed like this:

1) we copy the text to forward in a new Outlook message
2) we set the sender as the private email address of who is sending
3) we mangle the subject so that it contains the magic RT token with the number of the original ticket
4) we add a special RT adress as BCC; this address is configured so that it triggers a comment action instead of a correspond action

This has always worked well, although it is a bit cumbersome.

But sometimes the receiving end replies, starting a lengthy new thread that needs to be appended to the ticket history. We can do it by forwarding each message to the special RT address (see step 4 above), but this is not optimal.

Instead we thought of modifying the procedure adding a fifth step:

5) set the Reply-To header with our normal RT address

This way, when the subject receiving the forwarded email replies, it automatically is appended to the ticket and other participants are notified of the reply.

However when we try to do this, RT replies back telling that it cannot record the email, with a permission denied error. The RT log reports that RT believes it got a message from itself and so it did not record it.

Here is one example:

[Mon May 6 09:42:32 2013] [crit]: RT Received mail ( ) from itself. (/opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:1740)
[Mon May 6 09:42:32 2013] [crit]: RT thinks this message may be a bounce (/opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:244)
[Mon May 6 09:42:32 2013] [error]: Could not record email: Message Bounced (/opt/rt3/share/html/REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway:75)

I can't figure out why RT thinks it is receiving a mail from itself. Is it a bug? Or is there something else that I can't think of?

Thank you in advance.
Bye
Cris

--