[rt-users] User Created Scrip Won't Run On Create

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Feb 13 09:50:43 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 07:46:17AM -0800, Ethan Hohensee wrote:
> I'm having some issues getting a scrip I wrote to run in RT 4.2.2. I am
> attempting to populate some custom fields from XML in an email submitted
> ticket but in the process of troubleshooting, I noticed that the scrip
> itself was not being traversed when email tickets are being submitted. The
> tickets are created and the autoreply goes out just fine, but my scrip with
> the same On Create condition does not execute. These are the debug logs
> showing the scrips that run On Create and the code for my custom Scrip,
> which is number 16.

A deficiency in the RT logging infrastructure causes non-email-sending
Scrips to not be logged as well as those that send email.

> Conditon: On Create
> Action: User Defined
> Template: Blank
>
> User Defined Conditions and Results:
>   Custom Conditon: <empty>
>   Custom Action Preperation Code: /return 1;/
>   Custom Action Commit Code:
> I have tried to simply put "return 1;" in both the prep and commit code and
> still haven't had any luck getting this scrip to run. I am not really
> concerned with the parsing logic at this point, I would just like to get it
> to trigger On Create. Here is the alias I am using to submit my tickets via
> the local PostFix install:

Instead of putting return 1; which will cause the Scrip to do nothing,
make the Custom Action Prepare be

RT->Logger->error("Preparing custom scrip");
return1;

and a similar message in the commit, and ensure that the Condition is
On Create.

If you're really not seeing error messages from that, then something
is quite wrong.

-kevin