[rt-users] Processing attachments outside RT

pj loh optimints at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 06:03:21 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm new to the list. I've been exploring RT for about a month, trying to
familiarise myself with RT as well as to see how I can customise it for my
purposes. Had some success creating a custom scrip. I'm now trying to work
on a 2nd scrip to perform some additional processing of attachments outside
of RT. My idea goes as follows:

1. User creates a ticket and attaches a binary file to it. Within RT, the
ticket will have a life of its own.

2. Next, I would like to run a scrip upon the ticket creation to detect the
attachment's existence (eg. specific filename) and send that attachment to
be processed by another software. The other software is able to monitor a
folder to pick up new files for processing, so to put it simply, the scrip
should be able to 'export' the attachment to the filesystem and put it in a
specific folder.

I've looked through the RT::Attachment documentation, experimented with it,
and also searched through the RT mailing list archives. The best I can do
is to display the content of the attachment, but I cannot figure out how to
'export' an attachment to the filesystem. Is this even possible within RT?
I've not come across anyone discussing anything similar.

Thanks,
PJ