[rt-users] RT Database pruning before moving to new server

Parish, Brent bparish at cognex.com
Thu Jun 5 11:04:32 EDT 2014

I'm interested to hear from everyone too, as one of these days I hope to drop out some unnecessary attachments from the database.

One thing that I found in our environment is that the sessions table was absolutely huge and accounted for more than 80% of our database size.

You can use the sbin/rt-clean-sessions script to help prune that if you find that your sessions table is also very large.

If you are migrating to another database server, you can also leave out the sessions table.
For example, with MySQL:
mysqldump -u$RootDBuser -p$RootDBpassword -h$DBhost rt4 --ignore-table rt4.sessions > db_backup.sql
(or just truncate it after importing into the new server)

- Brent