[rt-users] resolving stalled tickets after X amount of time

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Tue Aug 4 14:47:08 EDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Mike Johnson <mike.johnson at nosm.ca> wrote:
> I tried googling and found an unanswered email to this list from 2006.
>
> I also found a bunch of links relating to RT's Lifecycle functionality, but
> I wasn't able to figure out if there was a built in way for RT to
> auto-resolve/reject/(some other status) tickets that have been stalled for a
> period of time.
>
> Ideally, I would like to set tickets to stalled when we are waiting for
> feedback from the requestor, and if that requestor does not respond after a
> given time period(configurable by queue preferrably), the system
> automatically resolves.
>
> It would be best if when we resolve in this fashion, that the requestor gets
> notified of the automatic resolve... which is why I suggested another
> status, as it would be easy to set a scrip/template for this.
>
> From what I read in the Lifecycles functionality, it only applies to
> transactions as they are happening. I'm looking to kick off a transaction
> automatically.
>
> I'm assuming this is a cron + executing a saved query of some sort, then
> actioning on it all.
>
> Is this built into RT somehow, or do I have to piece it together like I've
> stated above using cron/perl scripting?

It is mostly built-in.

Here is a cron entry we use to adjust ticket status based on a query.

# Puppet Name: access_request_ticket_stale_timeout_set_status
0 12 * * * /opt/rt4/bin/rt-crontool --log=warning --search
RT::Search::FromSQL --search-arg ' Queue = "Access Requests" AND
Status = "activated" AND ( ( "CF.{Renewal Verified At}" IS NULL AND
Created <= "410 days ago" ) OR ( "CF.{Renewal Verified At}" IS NOT
NULL AND "CF.{Renewal Verified At}" <= "410 days ago" ) ) ' --action
RT::Action::SetStatus --action-arg stale

Let the list know if you don't have your "RT cron" set up; that is a
prerequisite.

-m