[svk-users] svk mirrroring partial repositories

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Sun Aug 5 07:22:24 EDT 2007

I'd like to mirror only part of the mediawiki svn repository.  The
problem is, the part I'd like to mirror didn't exist at revision 1, so
svk seems to not be able to sync to it.

[root] /usr/local/src/mediawiki# svk mkdir //mirror
Repository /root/.svk/local does not exist, create? (y/n)y
Waiting for editor...
Committed revision 1.
[root] /usr/local/src/mediawiki# svk mirror
http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/tags/REL1_9_3/phase3
//mirror/mediawiki
Mirror initialized.  Run svk sync //mirror/mediawiki to start mirroring.
[root] /usr/local/src/mediawiki# svk sync //mirror/mediawiki
Syncing http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/tags/REL1_9_3/phase3
Retrieving log information from 1 to 24604
[root] /usr/local/src/mediawiki#

It just returns after retrieving the log information.  Same behavior on
win32, for what it's worth.

This implies it's because the path I'm trying to sync to didn't exist at
revision 1:

http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/programming/svk-skipto-problems

Is that in fact the problem?

What should I do here?  My original plan was to mirror a specific tag,
and then work in my local branch, making any edits I might need.  Then,
when mediawiki upgrades, I'd mirror --relocate to their new version, and
then pull those changes into my local branch.  I'd never push, however.

What's an alternative plan that would work?  Could I mirror only their
trunk, and then sync the mirror to specific revisions from the remote
server as they tag them?  How would I specify the remove revision?  Is
that what --skipto and --torev are for on svk sync?

Thanks,
Chris