[svk-users] no way to co into an existing directory?

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Fri Aug 10 03:25:56 EDT 2007

Let's say I have a directory that needs to be created by root, and
already has been created by root, like:

/www/foobar

I want to check out /mediawiki/localsites into that directory.  I don't
think I can do it directly:

[checker] /www$ svk co /mediawiki/localsites foobar
Checkout path foobar already exists.

Okay, let's try this:

[checker] /www/foobar$ svk co /mediawiki/localsites .
Syncing /mediawiki/localsites(/localsites) in /www/foobar/localsites to
24718.
A   localsites/maintenance
A   localsites/maintenance/dumpUploads.php
A   localsites/maintenance/mctest.php
A   localsites/maintenance/mcc.php

Gah, I don't want it in /www/foobar/localsites, I want it in /www/foobar.

Best I can figure out is to let it check out into a localsites subdir,
and then mv and svk co --relocate it up to /www/foobar, which is
suboptimal at best.

Seems like there should be a co --force, or something to let the first
thing succeed.

Or, I think svn strips the last part of the path if you specify a
destination directory.  Yeah, I just checked, and specifying . as the
target in svn does the expected thing and dumps the directory there
without making a new directory.  Hmm, more checking, svn also will check
out into an existing directory without warning or failing, so either of
my first two tries would have worked with svn.

I could attempt a patch for this if there's no deep underlying reason
for it.  Thoughts?

Chris