[svk-users] Re: svk pull/push to resolve conflict

Wing Choi Wing.Choi at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 14 12:09:35 EST 2007

thus spake Wing Choi on Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 05:27:30PM -0800:

> Hi, I am new to svk and having some problem
> with a basic pull/push work model for conflict
> resolution, etc.
>
> BTW, I'm using:
> This is svk, version v2.0.2 (using Subversion bindings 1.4.4)
>

> Assuming that all users work on their own local copies
> of a trunk on the server and once in awhile pulls or pushes,
> you will end up with some kind of conflict.
> I am modeling this starting from an nearly empty
> repos with just 1 file in it.  2 users svk mirrors,
> makes a local copy and makes changes to the local copy.
> user1 does all of her ci's and then svk pushes
> into the repos - no problem as she is the first
> one to hit it with recent changes.  user2 comes
> along and places his ci's into the local copy,
> when he svk pushes, of course he gets a message
> that his stuff needs updating.  He svk pulls
> and ends up having to hand merge to resolve.
>
> He is presented with:

> user 1 This is a line in the file.
> ==== ORIGINAL VERSION myfile 119500211995879
> This is a line in the file.
> ==== THEIR VERSION myfile (/mirror/trunk) 119500211995879
> user 2 This is a line in the file.
> <<<< 119500211995879
>
> He does that and ends up with the updated merges
> in his local copy and in the checked out area.
> The file is now:
>
> user 1 and 2 This is a line in the file.
>
> But when he svk pushes now, he gets the following
> conflict to resolve:

> user 2 This is a line in the file.
> ==== ORIGINAL VERSION myfile 119500223876912
> This is a line in the file.
> ==== THEIR VERSION myfile (/u1l/trunk) 119500223876912
> user 1 This is a line in the file.
> <<<< 119500223876912
>
> What gives?  What happened with the local copy merged
> stuff and why resolve a conflict at all...
>
> If I do a straight smerge from the local copy over to
> the mirror, it sails right thru without having to resolve
> conflict.

The your version and their version is also swapped as well.
In the push from user1, "YOUR version" should be the recently
pulled merged file from the /u1l/trunk - the local copy in
the depot; but it's from the mirror...

svk status gives nothing in return.
svk cat /mine/u1l/trunk/myfile gives me the merged version.