[svk-users] SVK/SVN Mirror use

L. Mark Pilant Mark.Pilant at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 14 15:09:56 EDT 2008

Greetings.

I've been using Subversion for a while, and SVK for a shorter while.
I'm trying to set up an effective use of a remote repository, and
although I'm almost there, I've run into one last problem.  BTW,
this is all on Windows.

Here's the problem:  I need to be able to take a remote repository
as a "vendor drop", preserving the svn:eol-etyle, and merge it with
code written locally.

At the moment, I'm doing an "svn export" from the remote repository
to a local directory tree, and then merging it into a local repository
using the "svn_load_dirs" Perl script.  (Just as described in the
SVN Book documentation.)

This worked fine as long as I was only building on a single platform
(Windows or Linux/Solaris) but falls apart because the eol type is
lost as a result of the export and the Perl script.

Now I need to build on Windows, Linux, and Solaris so I need to make
sure the eol-style is set correctly.  (In reality, I just need to
set it to be the same as what the remote repository has for the
various files.)

So... what I've got so far is a script which regularly does an svk
sync to a mirrored repository.  (BTW< this works great.)  The eol-
style is fine.  Now I need get the files from the mirror to the
local repository so it can then be merged with the local code.

I haven't been able to come up with any real good way to do this.
About the only thing I can think of to do is do the export from the
mirror and modify the Perl script to look at the properties for any
added files in the mirror and set the properties to be the same when
the local repository is updated.

This seems like a real hack, and there ought to be a better way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Mark