[svk-users] SVK/SVN Mirror use

L. Mark Pilant Mark.Pilant at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 15 10:09:19 EDT 2008

Hi Gerald.

> to be honest, i can't follow you completely.

Probably because I did a bad job describing it :-P

So here goes... take 2... :-)

There is a remote vendor repository I am mirroring on a local machine.
I will not be making any changes to the remote repository.  It is mirrored
using SVK so I can get the correct SVN properties.  (SVN export & the
svn_load_dirs Perl script can't do this... at least that I can tell.
I know about the script config file, but that is too labor intensive.)

At the moment, using SVN export and svn_load_dirs, I maintain a copy
of the remote repository information.  I then created a branch off this
to do the local development and checkins.  While on a single platform,
this worked fairly well because the eol-style on the repository machine
and the development machines (Windows) are the same.  However this falls
apart when I add a different (Linux/Solaris) development platform.

So in essence what I want to do is continually update the local repository
with the contents of the remote repository and periodically merge the
updated information with the development branch.  So far, the only problem
has been getting the eol-style correct to be able to check out from the
local repository to the various platforms for others to us for development.

I hope this helps clear it up.

- Mark