[svk-users] svk use in a team?

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:32:05 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've been reading the svk book trying to figure out a work flow for
myself and a coworker.

The company has switched to svn but the svn repository is controlled
very strictly. I want to have more freedom to work and so would like
to use svk to have that freedom.

It seems to me that I can have this freedom for just me with the
following steps.

1) create a depot on my local computer
2) mirror the svn repository to my local depot
3) create a branch on which to work
4) commit to my branch in my depot
5) merge my branch to the mirror which would automatically commit to
the svn repository

Does that sound about right?

I can sync the mirror easily and then do I pull on the branch somehow
to get the code in the mirror into my branch?

-------

Another thing I would really like to be able to do is work on the same
svk branch with a coworker of mine. I can't find a very good
explanation of how push and pull works with svk. My initial thinking
is I would like to create an svk repository(?) on a company server
with a mirror of the svn repository and the branch on which we work,
then my coworker and I checkout(?) this branch to our local computer
depots with a pull(?) from the server svk branch and commit with a
push(?) to the server svk branch? At some point the branch on the
server could be merged with the mirror on the server to commit to the
real svn repository. I don't know how the push and pulls would work
and how I would expose the svk repository(?) on the server. If anyone
has pointers they would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter