[svk-users] svk use in a team?

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Tue Jun 10 18:02:34 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Peter Michaux <petermichaux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading the svk book trying to figure out a work flow for
> myself and a coworker.
>
> The company has switched to svn but the svn repository is controlled
> very strictly. I want to have more freedom to work and so would like
> to use svk to have that freedom.
>
> It seems to me that I can have this freedom for just me with the
> following steps.
>
> 1) create a depot on my local computer
> 2) mirror the svn repository to my local depot
> 3) create a branch on which to work
> 4) commit to my branch in my depot
> 5) merge my branch to the mirror which would automatically commit to
> the svn repository
>
> Does that sound about right?
correct

> I can sync the mirror easily and then do I pull on the branch somehow
> to get the code in the mirror into my branch?
yep, using pull command or smerge, whatever you like or more familiar with.

> Another thing I would really like to be able to do is work on the same
> svk branch with a coworker of mine. I can't find a very good
> explanation of how push and pull works with svk. My initial thinking
> is I would like to create an svk repository(?) on a company server
> with a mirror of the svn repository and the branch on which we work,
> then my coworker and I checkout(?) this branch to our local computer
> depots with a pull(?) from the server svk branch and commit with a
> push(?) to the server svk branch? At some point the branch on the
> server could be merged with the mirror on the server to commit to the
> real svn repository. I don't know how the push and pulls would work
> and how I would expose the svk repository(?) on the server. If anyone
> has pointers they would be much appreciated.
svk uses standard svn repository to store your mirror and branches.
you can share this repositoru using svn server and people can change
local branches using any client(svn, svk, ...), however they shouldn't
change mirror.
So you have two options:
1) create a svk mirror on a server, create local branch in depot,
share depot using svn server, restrict write access to mirror path,
people change local version using any client, you push/pull changes
to/from the mirror using svk on the server.
2) you make the same, but on your local machine.

Second option may be more interesting as merging between mirror and
local branch may require resolution of conflicts when KDiff3, Meld or
other tools help terribly. However, it has obvious disadvantages.

> Thanks,
> Peter

Best regards, Ruslan.