[svk-users] SVK 2 on Debian testing 'lenny'

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Jun 18 14:54:28 EDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 6:11 PM, Adrian Simmons wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Anyone else using SVK on Debian testing? SVK was withdrawn from
> testing
> about a month ago due to various issues:
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/svk.html
>
> Has anyone found a workaround yet, to get a working svk2 in lenny?
> Compile
> everything from scratch?
>
> I don't like to use CPAN on debian, and the cpan as debian packages
> repository was little help either, too many depencencies that clash
> with
> existing installed perl packages.
>
> I'm at a bit of a loss - really need svk2 for work :(

Basically, Debian testing updated to Perl 5.10. SVK tickles a bug in
Perl 5.10.0. The next patch update to Debian's Perl should resolve
this issue.

In the meantime, you could install svk from sid and install a single
package from CPAN which should address most of the issues you could
run into:

http://search.cpan.org/~clkao/PerlIO-via-dynamic-0.13/ works around
the one crashing bug which we know about from Perl 5.10.0.

You may also have luck with this binary distribution of svk for linux: http://download.bestpractical.com/pub/svk/2.0.2/svk-v2.0.2-i486-linux.tgz

(Though I haven't tested it on a recent lenny)

Best,

Jesse