[svk-users] trying to get unfuddled with SVK ~or~ using SVK to replay SVN changes elsewhere

Alexander Dahl post at lespocky.de
Wed Nov 19 03:37:42 EST 2008

Hi Adam,

> I'm trying to (1) get my Subversion repository including full history
> sucked down from unfuddle and (2) import each change into an existing
> local Subversion repository. Step one was easy, I just did:

> I don't care about revision numbers, I just want change history
> (including propsets/propdels). Any ideas? Does this even make sense?

If you just want to move the repository to another server, there are
other possibilities than SVK. The first and easiest is to ask the old
hoster to make a dump of the svn repo and send it to you.

The second is to use the subversion tools itself, especially svnsync.
You find a detailed description in the svn book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.reposadmin.maint.html#svn.reposadmin.maint.replication

If you want to do it with svk...

> Step one was easy, I just did:
>
>   svk mirror http://example.com/remote //fuddled
>
> And SVK appears to know every change on every line and every svn property. Rock!
>
> I'm not sure how to do step 2. I have a local Subversion repository:
>
>   http://example.net/svn
>
> And a place in there I want to import the unfuddled commits:
>
>   http://example.net/svn/fuddled
>
> I don't care about revision numbers, I just want change history
> (including propsets/propdels). Any ideas? Does this even make sense?

Just an idea: as step two create a mirror of the new subversion repo in
your svk depot. You should have two mirrored paths then, e.g.
"//mirrors/old" and "//mirrors/new". You should then create local
branches of that mirrors with `svk cp`. You could then merge the changes
from the branch derived from the old mirror to the second branch derived
from the new mirror. Finally you push changes from the 'new' branch back
to the 'new' mirror.

HTH & Greets
Alex

--
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase