[svk-users] Move svk repo

Alexander Dahl post at lespocky.de
Fri Feb 13 10:30:39 EST 2009

Hi Martin,

> I'm working with svk and I really like it. However, when I installed svk
> and created the local copy of my svn repo I missed to place all that
> somewhere else than to C:\. Now some malware has infected my computer
> and I need to format C and reinstall windows. Can I move the svk repo
> (which I think is the path provided by svk depomap?)  to somewhere else,
> and reinstall svk on the new windows? I do not have access to the
> original svn repo for the next few weeks, so I'd be glad if there's a
> way to do this.

You already had the right idea: `svk depotmap` ;-)

First see which depots you have defined and running with

    svk depotmap --list

You'll probably see your // depot listed in the Depot column and in
which path it is stored in the second column. Just backup this whole
path! After that reinstall your system and svk. You can now copy back
your backup to any place you like, this doesn't need to be the old path.
You "reconnect" your depot then with

    svk depotmap // D:\path\to\new\copy\of\depot

This works with other depots than // as well.

AFAIR the svk documentation says you should initialize a default depot
after installing svk with `svk depotmap --init`. Don't do this in your
case, just reconnecting the new copy of your old repo should be
sufficient.

HTH & greets
Alex

--
GnuPG-FP: 02C8 A590 7FE5 CA5F 3601  D1D5 8FBA 7744 CC87 10D0