[rt-devel] Localization

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Tue Apr 4 01:12:35 EDT 2000

So, over time, a number of people have come to me and asked
about the possibility of localizing RT into a number of languages
For the most part, I've asked them to hold off for 2.0.  So, now
we're in the middle of the development cycled for RT2.0 and I've
actually started looking at localization.  Here's the "80% solution"
I'm going to propose. I'd like to hear from you if you don't think this
will meet your needs. Note that I am _not_ promising to be all things
to all people. I just want to make sure that I'm not nothing to all people
;)

	So, here's what I propose:

	* Allowing the mail templates to be localized to whatever
	  language you want. exactly as they are now.
	* Using Locale::PGetText to localize the core, cli AND
	  web uis. Note that this would mean that _each user_ could
	  choose to use RT in whatever language they are most comfortable
	  working in.

	* Not dealing with localized sorting and comparisons.  It's just
	more work than I really want to undertake right now.. and I think
	It would lead to a lot of complexity that I don't want to deal with
	yet

The most controversial part of that..and the part that I really just am not sure
about is the webui.  I'd like to do everything in my power to not have to
build multiple parallel localized versions of the webui. that would
just get way too cumbersome really quickly.  So. The ever-important question:

	Do we have any l10n experts in our midst? Anyone care to impart some advice?
	Jesse
jesse reed vincent -- jrvincent at wesleyan.edu -- jesse at fsck.com
pgp keyprint:  50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91
And I'm told we do share some common rituals. Our "flame war" is apparently
held in person in their land and called "project meeting".
					-Alan Cox [on "Suits"]