[rt-devel] Localization

Jan Okrouhly okrouhly at civ.zcu.cz
Tue Apr 4 03:18:46 EDT 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Jesse wrote:

> So, over time, a number of people have come to me and asked
> about the possibility of localizing RT into a number of languages
> For the most part, I've asked them to hold off for 2.0.  So, now
> we're in the middle of the development cycled for RT2.0 and I've
> actually started looking at localization.  Here's the "80% solution"
> I'm going to propose. I'd like to hear from you if you don't think this
> will meet your needs. Note that I am _not_ promising to be all things
> to all people. I just want to make sure that I'm not nothing to all people
> ;)
>
> 	So, here's what I propose:
>
> 	* Allowing the mail templates to be localized to whatever
> 	  language you want. exactly as they are now.
> 	* Using Locale::PGetText to localize the core, cli AND
> 	  web uis. Note that this would mean that _each user_ could
> 	  choose to use RT in whatever language they are most comfortable
> 	  working in.
>
> 	* Not dealing with localized sorting and comparisons.  It's just
> 	more work than I really want to undertake right now.. and I think
> 	It would lead to a lot of complexity that I don't want to deal with
> 	yet

That sounds great. I think sorting isn't so important, but comparisons
will be (in database or knowledge base searches). Free form texts/requests
from users comes in different MIME encodings and their browsers could use
in another ones => support of correct keyword searching is needed to
work well.

> The most controversial part of that..and the part that I really just am not sure
> about is the webui.  I'd like to do everything in my power to not have to
> build multiple parallel localized versions of the webui. that would
> just get way too cumbersome really quickly.  So. The ever-important question:

I'm not an i10n expert but I hope there will be some 'resource' files with
localized texts for a given version of UI here. I think that some
versioning will be needed to make a place for new patches from RT
developers around the world (These couldn't be localized just in time be
them ;-).

> 	Do we have any l10n experts in our midst? Anyone care to impart some advice?
> 	Jesse
> --
> jesse reed vincent -- jrvincent at wesleyan.edu -- jesse at fsck.com
> pgp keyprint:  50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91

Jan Okrouhly
Laboratory for Computer Science             |    phone: (420 19) 7491588
University of West Bohemia                  | location: Univerzitni 22
Americka 42, 306 14 Pilsen, Czech Republic  |     room: UI404