[rt-devel] Re: Remote linking

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Wed Apr 26 13:34:34 EDT 2000

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 07:27:09PM +0200, Tobias Brox wrote:
> > Why do you have the queue in there? htat could easily change without the
> > remote site knowing about it, nor does the remote site need it to look
> > up the reference.
>
> I _did_ have a good reason for it, though I can't remember.  Maybe it is
> not so important anyway.  But it should be possible to do lookups on other
> things that only ticket ids anyway.
>
> > How about fsck.com-rt://<instance name>/ticket/<ticket id>
>
> Maybe.  There should be valid URIs both for viewing a ticket ...
> alternatively with an alternative template ... and for viewing a queue
> view.

The UI isn't for _viewing_ a ticket, but for allwoing RT to know where a ticket is.

But yes, for a queue uri, we'd get <instance name>/queue/<queue id>

> > 	fsck.com-rt://fsck.com/ticket/2734
> > or	fsck.com-rt://support.funcom.com/ticket/89235
> >
> > my one real concern with this scheme is that some people seemed to have badly named their RT instances as "support" or "help"
>
> If you're going to do it as an URI, and if you're going to use svc
> records, the middle thing cannot be the instance name, but rather the
> domain it's coming from or <instancename>.domain.

Yeah. The problem is that instance names don't map cleanly to domains.

maybe it should be fsck.com-rt://domain/instancename/ticket/number

jesse reed vincent -- jrvincent at wesleyan.edu -- jesse at fsck.com
pgp keyprint:  50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91