[rt-devel] Re: [rt-users] Disappearing messages?

Tobias Brox tobiasb at tobiasb.funcom.com
Sat Jul 22 22:44:41 EDT 2000

> It is not always right to log the transaction. In _most_ cases I've
> dealt with, that would be the wrong thing to do. Which means that it
> should be configurable if it exists at all.

I'd daresay that in the most cases, there is a bounce from the mailer
daemon because the requestor email address is invalid.  It makes sense
recording the bounce in RT; in the very most cases, the person handling
the case (and nobody else) will be interessted in knowing that the mail
didn't get through.  The ticket owner might eventually track
down the user by other means and repeat the message, or just close the
case.  It should be recorded in RT that the mail didn't get through.

Another frequent thing is vacation messages.  They might and might
not belong to RT.  It might be relevant for the ticket owner (or the
requestor, if he wants to track his case) to know why things are going
slow, and eventually by what means the requestor (or the ticket handler)
can be tracked.

If there is potential loops in the system, the RT administrator have to
fix up this.  There shouldn't be potential loops in the system, eventually
it will happen very infrequently, and it should be harmless to record some
few extra transactions as RT won't send out mail in such cases.

Better to record too much than too little.

--
Spell checkers are for wimps
(please send feedback on all typos)