[rt-devel] rt notes

Alex Pilosov alex at pilosoft.com
Sat Oct 7 14:22:32 EDT 2000

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, ivan wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 02:52:34AM -0400, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> >
> > The things that are different in each database:
> > a) datatypes (DATE vs TIMESTAMP, VARCHAR vs VARCHAR2, CLOB vs TEXT, etc)
>
> > 5. Because current large-object interface in postgres is such a pain to
> > work with, I converted all columns to TEXT. However, postgres up to 7.1
> > won't allow you to put >8k of data into one row, which means things won't
> > quite work right. 7.1 is to be released sometime this year. :)  >
>
> I'm working on the Pg port now.  Pg doesn't seem to have a `TEXT'
> datatype.  What do you suggest using instead of MySQL BLOBs? for Pg 7.0?
>
> This particular problem is going to be a doozy.  Yuck.

Go for lztext in 7.0, (compressed text) which has 8k limitation after row
has been compressed. Or get CVS postgres, which has TOAST, completely
removing limitation on the length of text datatype.

I don't recommend you deal with Pg large-object-interface. Its a real
pain, and it has too many caveats. With 7.1 on horizon, its better to wait
for it.

By the time RT2 is released, I'm willing to bet that Postgres 7.1 with
TOAST will be released also ;P)

-alex