"large" attachments (was Re: [rt-devel] rt notes)

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Mon Sep 18 16:45:00 EDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 01:33:46PM -0700, J.D. Falk wrote:
> On 09/17/00, Jesse <jesse at fsck.com> wrote:
>
> > > 5. Because current large-object interface in postgres is such a pain to
> > > work with, I converted all columns to TEXT. However, postgres up to 7.1
> > > won't allow you to put >8k of data into one row, which means things won't
> > > quite work right. 7.1 is to be released sometime this year. :)
> > >

> > *nod* One thing I've been vaguely pondering is the idea of storing "large"
> > attachments on disk, rather than in the database.  This isn't something I'm
> > thrilled with, but it may be necessary to deal with many databases' broken
> > large-object handling.
>
> 	Are you thinking of adding functionality similar to stripmime?

Well, RT2 already does most of that. but the idea is that you'd be able to
set a cutoff to spool to disk rather than into the database. it complicates
some things a bit, but could be useful.

the thought is that you'd also be able to set a maximum size, over which an
attachment would get bounced and a stoplist of mimetypes that should NEVER
be accepted.

        -j

jesse reed vincent --- root at eruditorum.org --- jesse at fsck.com
pgp keyprint: 50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91