[rt-devel] Tonight's incomplete proof-of-concept bad-idea code

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Dec 24 20:00:30 EST 2001

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 06:52:34PM -0600, Bob Apthorpe wrote:
> Actually, an IRC bot makes a lot of sense - I could've used this
> about a year ago, back before my employer sank beneath the
> waves of inky red. We used a private IRC server for internal Ops
> communication and RT for work management (funny how I have the
> time to install, maintain and enhance RT but it's outside my job
> description to support migration to Remedy. Heh.)
>
> I can't imagine running this in public. IRC in a cloistered
> environment is scary enough.
>
> -- Bob

*nod* That's exactly the sort of environment I'd been thinking of this for.  We did a similar
thing when I was at into.  and when I was at Leftbank.  At least one site is already
sucessfully using a query-only prototype of the prototype I'd hacked up a week or so ago.

It's really handy to not have to fire up a seperate shell or browser to talk to RT. One thing
I may play with some time is a line-oriented text editor component, so that one can do more than
single-line ticket updates from an IRC session.

	-j