[rt-devel] Installation confusion with rt-1-3-49_01

Bill Cole wkc at mail-abuse.org
Mon Mar 12 10:07:52 EST 2001

At 9:44 PM +0100 3/9/01, Jonas Liljegren wrote:
>And now a couple more things about the README, Makefile and config.pm
[...]
>$Timezone : Some reference to a list of timezones would have helped.
>I found help by "apropos timezone".

Seconded.

I'm not really clear on why this is needed, and see possible problems
arising from it. Date::Manip::Date_Init() should be able to figure
out the system's default zone offset and stash it in Date::Manip::TZ
for use by its routines. Unless there is a need for an  RT instance
to have a different default, that should suffice.  If it must be
there, some warning is justified, since there's not a lot of
standardization across OS's. For example, the distribution has
"US/Eastern" which probably is fine on Linux (and maybe Solaris?) but
isn't on FreeBSD. That form is usually a pathname relative to the
OS's root for zoneinfo files, and it seems that every OS uses a
different root, layout, and naming convention for those files.

--
Bill Cole
Director of Customer Operations, MAPS L.L.C.