[rt-devel] three patches and comments...

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Tue May 8 14:25:01 EDT 2001

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 04:18:44PM -0700, Alex Krohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We just finished installing and customzing RT 1.3.70. I like the
> modularity and the Scrips are very cool. A couple things that may be of
> help:
>
> 1. The install would go a lot smoother if the user must create the
> database already. We ran into a lot of problems getting all the
> username/passwords correct. I would recommend just having options for
> database name, database user and database pass to run as and then create
> the tables and go. Leave creating the database and setting up db
> permissions to whoever installed the database server.

In a lot of cases, the folks setting up RT don't have a local DBA.
In what ways did the auto-creation bite you? With which database?

> 2. Found a small bug:
> diff -r1.1.2.88 Transaction.pm
> 228d227
> <     if (@_) {
> You had an if .. around a my'd variable making it never in scope.

Fixed it. Thanks.

> 3. Had quite a few issues with attachments and template replies.
> to get the first viewable part. Might be nice to add this as a builtin
> function. Something like:
>
>         {$Transaction->ViewablePart}

Yeah. This has got to happen.  Part of the idea behind the templates
is that they should be easy to customize. Making people include perl
tests for definedness in their templates just isn't cool ;)

> It would also be useful to have a function that would quote previous
> and that would go back through the tickets and create a quoted history
> much like you see via the web.

Inneresting.....I'll ponder it. but it probably won't make it for 2.0.0

> 4. We added an Auto Assign feature that would assign an incoming ticket
> to a member. It allows you to call rt-mailgate with --group=groupname
> and it will assign the incoming case to the member of the group with the
> fewest support cases. If no one in the group can be found, it will look
> for someone in the 'general' group.

Neat feature. Something like this will get into the core eventually.

> A patch follows if anyone is interested. I couldn't get my head around
> DBIx::SearchBuilder for table joins I'm afraid, so I used raw sql. =)

Well, since searchbuilder doesn't yet do LEFT JOINs (coming soon) because they're not consistent from pg/mysql to oracle, it would be tough, i'd bet ;)
And yeah, as tobias mentioned, it would be much better to do this as some
form of scrip, so that it will be applied to tickets that are created via
other interfaces....

> 5. Here's a patch to SendEmail.pm that will forward attachments as well
> as the regular message. I couldn't see a good way to do this in the
> template unfortunately, but would love to hear ideas:

I suspect that the way that something like this will get in eventually is
by having a "NotifyWithAttachments" Action which subclasses Notify

> This basically says if you pass 1 into Commit() then the SendMail will
> attach any attached files in the current transaction.

FWIW, this should probably be done in "Prepare" so that we could concievably
take some constructive action if it fails.

> Hope this helps someone, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the patches and suggestions.