[rt-devel] hacking on rt.

Rob Walker rob at myinternetplace.net
Thu Feb 7 15:26:45 EST 2002

On Thursday 07 February 2002 14:07, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> It depends on what you're doing. ;)  the cvs -head may be better to hack
> on, as it's easier for me to apply patches against and you get the benefit
> of the latest code, at the cost of possibly slightly decreased stability
> and a moving target.

Aye, there's the rub.  I need stability at this point.

> I'm currently investigating other version control systems
> such as arch and bitkeeper, which will make it somewhat easier for sites
> to maintain their own branches off my repository, which might make
> things more interesting in the future...

Sigh, same here.  I am setting up an internet infrastructure for a company I
am starting to work with.  We need to implement an VCS, but setting up and
training everyone on CVS just feels like such a step backwards.  ugh.

> So, what are you doing? ;)

I guess it was wrong to call it 'hacking', 'piddling around' is more like it.

I am coming at this from a keystone background, you got us because of Dave's
suggestion and WhitePJ's brilliant move.  :-)  Here is what I have done so
far, little as it is.

1.  on the part where you show Queues, where it says "(Check box to revoke
right)", I made it only show up where there are rights to be shown.  This is
the patch I submitted to the -users list.

2.  In the same area, I have added some checking to add "(no rights assigned)"
if there are no rights to show.

3.  I changed the string "New  Rights" to be "Available Rights", as "New
Rights" confused me.  I thought of new rights which didn't exist before, not
rights which I could assign to a user or a group.

I am kind of looking at the following:

1.  The part where we show the current rights is driving me crazy, since it
isn't sorted the same way as the "New Rights" listbox is sorted.

2.  Shortening the listbox of "New Rights" to only show the rights which are
available to be assigned.  Hence the name "Available Rights"

As you can see, there is nothing here which is outside of the file
SelectRights.  I am not a very good programmer, so any time you get a patch
from me, consider it not a patch worthy of distribution, but a proof of
concept which Works For Me (tm).  Over time, I hope to be able to integrate
more within the style of current rt code.

rob