[rt-devel] Site Lib

Jim Meyer purp at wildbrain.com
Thu Jun 13 12:31:09 EDT 2002

Howdy!

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 10:02, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> Locally, yes. it's somewhat more of a pain to build into the build system,
> etc.  Why are you opposed to using your site_perl?

Using a local/lib helps with encapsulation and clarity, both of which
contribute to ease of maintainence of the RT instance; it is also a bit
more convenient and secure than site_perl.

Specifically, using /path/to/rt/local/lib guarantees that anything
closely related to RT is in one place. It places it in a structure
parallel to the originally installed component, which is at once
familiar to a modestly experienced RT admin and simple to traverse for
code maintenance and comparison. It builds upon the Mason local
component root paradigm which is also familiar territory for your
average RT admin.

Finally, it's an area which is not normally in root's @INC; this means
that the convenience of allowing non-root users access to local/lib does
not expose the system to unnecessary security risks.

I'm interested enough in having this functionality earlier than 3.0 to
help work out the build issues; if that's interesting, please feel free
to contact me privately or on the list and we can figure out where to
start.

Thanks!

--j
Jim Meyer, Geek At Large                              purp at wildbrain.com