[rt-devel] RT 3.0.1: Latin1 characters kill the message

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 07:41:46 EDT 2003

--- Stanislav Sinyagin <ssinyagin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> the incoming e-mail with
> charset="iso-8859-1" and a single non-ASCII character in it:
> regardless of the ticket number present or not in the subject line,
> the new ticket is created with empty Requestor, body and subject.

The whole mess is around the line 26 in html/autohandler.
Before Change 60 it was:
  Encode::_utf8_on($ARGS{$_}) foreach (keys %ARGS);

After that it is:
  $ARGS{$_} = Encode::decode_utf8($ARGS{$_}) foreach (keys %ARGS);

After the change, the iso-8859-1 e-mail messages are screwed as described above.
UTF-8  e-mail messages are handled fine.

With this line reverted to the old value, not everything is fine:
When the iso-8859-1 e-mail comes,
each accent or umlaut character is stored in the database as 4 bytes,
and is diasplayed in the web interface as two meaningless Unicode symbols.
But the notification e-mail sent to AdminCC contains correctly written UTF-8 text.

With this line commented out, not everything's fine either:
The database contains correctly encoded UTF-8 text,
but the e-mail to AdminCC has utf-8 in the header, but the body in fact
is encoded as Latin1.

I hope this helps to track the problem down.

Regards,
Stan