[rt-devel] RT sessions [using 3.0.2]

Iain Price iain.price at post.serco.com
Thu Aug 7 12:44:43 EDT 2003

Firstly apologies if i'm raising issues fixed in later version, I am checking the change log from 3.0.4 and will be attempting to upgrade our installation here shortly... I'm rather too busy, kinda hoped rt would be 'plug and ignore' (rt2 was)... however i guess i have a largeish install of RT3 here and probably am getting some quite nice stress testing going, so i'll continue to feed back anything i find out.

There are some issues we're having with attachments (noticed a change in 3.0.4) and sometimes storable.xs (or whatever its called) just doesn't like things, but i'll wait until i'm on the latest ver and reinvestigate then.

This issue relates to session tracking, and more relevantly expiration.

I've had reports from the users that rt 'gets slow' - when i checked the host it was using 1gb ram (512 main, 500 of 1000 swap) and swapping a lot.. apache was the culprit, and i assumed the rt3 session object was simply large, however restarting apache reduces the system total memory usage to under 200 meg... over time this grows... my suspicion is that the session objects never expire (are they removed on logout?) so eventually all the ram gets chewed up.
schedulting "at 4am" to restart the webserver works around this ... however i also have 60,000 rows in the session, wondering if i've forgotten a cron job or something important, but i cant find anything after a quick search (sorry if i've missed it)

Are these issues or have I got something wrong in my setup?

Thanks,
Iain