[rt-devel] New Release of the Statistics package

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Thu Jul 31 04:35:07 EDT 2003

On Donnerstag, 31. Juli 2003, at 2:22 Uhr, Brett Randall wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for taking the time to rewrite this great stats package for
> RT3... A few issues/suggestions:
>
> 1. The charts do not work for me. GD::Graph is installed fine and I
> can use the module fine with no errors, however the charts just will
> not show in any browser. If I try and open the image directly in a
> browser, I get the PNG header and a bunch of binary that LOOKS like
> it could be an image, however I cannot open it so it must be
> broken. Is there any way of debugging what the prob is? I've tried
> both the libgd1 and libgd2 libraries (and corresponding perl
> modules) with the same problem with both.

Obvious question first: Is Your browser capable of displaying pngs? Did
You try to save the file to disk and open it with a picture viewer? In
each 'Chart' Mason Element, there is a line like

$graph->set(export_format => "png");

can You change that to
$graph->set(export_format => "jpg");

and see if jpgs are viewable?

The newest GD:Graph is dependent on libgd2 (not part of the standard
redhat distribution last time I looked (ver. 9)).

> 2. I'd LOVE to be able to generate stats for a certain time span, eg
> generate charts for March 1-31, April 1-30, May 1-31, etc and put
> them side-by-side to look at trends. I know this wouldn't be hard to
> do... What are the chances of this feature coming out soon?

Patches are always welcome (-; I still plan on improving the base
package we have now, since it has come a bit of age already. Also, for
me it is an opportunity to get my hands dirty with perl code again.

> If the
> chances are small, I may start looking into RT development to see if
> I can do it... (I'm a perl programmer by trade but have never looked
> in any depth at RT's code).

You'd be very welcome!

Regards,
     Harald