[rt-devel] mason_data and session_data, cache or lib?

John Stoffel stoffel at lucent.com
Wed Jun 4 13:05:53 EDT 2003

Stephen> We thought about this for the Debian package of RT3 and came
Stephen> up with something that we felt matched the FHS fairly well.

Stephen> Here is our config.layout:

Stephen> <Layout Debian>
Stephen>   prefix:               /usr/share/request-tracker3
Stephen>   exec_prefix:          /usr
Stephen>   bindir:               ${exec_prefix}/bin
Stephen>   sbindir:              ${exec_prefix}/sbin
Stephen>   sysconfdir:           /etc/request-tracker3
Stephen>   mandir:               /usr/share/man
Stephen>   libdir:               /usr/share/perl5
Stephen>   datadir:              ${prefix}
Stephen>   htmldir:              ${datadir}/html
Stephen>   manualdir:            /usr/share/doc/request-tracker3
Stephen>   logfiledir:           /var/log/request-tracker3
Stephen>   localstatedir:        /var/run/request-tracker3
Stephen>   masonstatedir:        ${localstatedir}/mason_data
Stephen>   sessionstatedir:      ${localstatedir}/session_data
Stephen>   customdir:            /usr/local/share/request-tracker3
Stephen>   custometcdir:         ${customdir}/etc
Stephen>   customhtmldir:        ${customdir}/html
Stephen>   customlexdir:         ${customdir}/po
Stephen>   customlibdir:         ${customdir}/lib
Stephen> </Layout>

Stephen> Any suggestions for improvements would be very welcome.

I'd prefer myself to see someway of having RT package all it's needed
Perl modules and such into it's own area, so that when you upgrade RT,
you don't a) nuke your working instance and b) you can keep upgrades
seperate from the main perl area in case there are conflicts, etc.

For example, I don't see much need for SearchBuilder to live in the
system wide perl lib dir at this time, especially with the amount of
churn it's going through.

It's nice to use CPAN to pull down the needed modules and have them
installed for you, but with all the issues people have reported on
this in the past, and the need for the 'make testdeps' target, it
would be nice to just get away from all this.

And I think it will simplify Jesse's life as well, since people would
just download the one bundle, drop it into $prefix and run from there.

So in this case, I'd make $libdir above point to ${prefix}/lib to keep
it seperate from other apps in the system.

John
   John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
	 stoffel at lucent.com - http://www.lucent.com - 978-399-0479