[rt-devel] mason_data and session_data, cache or lib?

Jamie Wilkinson jaq at spacepants.org
Thu Jun 5 05:52:05 EDT 2003

This one time, at band camp, Stephen Quinney wrote:
>  prefix:               /usr/share/request-tracker3
>  exec_prefix:          /usr

I disagree with this distinction, it doesn't make sense given the usual
defaults that packages take.  Since RT is an architecture neutral app, you
don't need to make prefix and exec_prefix separate.  In fact I'd be
surprised to see any recent Debian package with prefix and exec_prefix not the
same.

>  sysconfdir:           /etc/request-tracker3

erk.  So much typing!

>  libdir:               /usr/share/perl5

As John Stoffel pointed out, RT isn't actually a generic perl library, so
it's probably better to put the backend of it into /usr/lib/rt

>  logfiledir:           /var/log/request-tracker3

I chose /var/log/rt

>  localstatedir:        /var/run/request-tracker3
>  masonstatedir:        ${localstatedir}/mason_data
>  sessionstatedir:      ${localstatedir}/session_data

This I really disagree with.  I re-read the FHS specification, and given the
descriptions for /var/run, /var/cache, and /var/lib, /var/cache is
certainly the best location for masonstatedir and probably sessionstatedir,
and maybe /var/lib for sessionstatedir.  /var/run's description seems to
indicate that it is for files related to the actual running of a process,
such as pid files; and if session data is supposed to survive a reboot then
this directory is certainly not the place for it.

--
jaq at spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg