[rt-devel] Annoing <TEXTAREA WRAP=HARD

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Jun 13 13:09:03 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 03:40:28AM -0700, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Ticket/Update.html, TEXTAREA has WRAP=HARD, which is:
>
> -- hard to get used to, since normally you enter the linebreaks yourself,
>    and hence annoying

I certainly don't have to. My mail client is smart enough to wrap text
on my behalf. (It just did so.) I suspect most users are also used to
mail clients that are similarly intelligent.

> -- When pasting text from some output log, lines are broken (terminal width
>    is normally 80 symbols, not 72)

A valid concern.

> -- Opera browser inserts extra linebreaks
>    http://list.opera.com/pipermail/opera-users/2003-March/018395.html

I'm sorry your browser is broken.

> -- This tag is not HTML 4.01 standard
>    http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/forms/_TEXTAREA_WRAP.html

It is, however, supported by just about every browser on the planet.

> Considering all this, is it possible to remove it from the output?

No.

> Maybe another configuration option would be useful?

A local /Elements/MessageBox overlay sounds like it would fix this
behaviour for your local site.