[rt-devel] Annoying <TEXTAREA WRAP=HARD

Paul Wagland pwagland at allshare.nl
Mon Jun 16 04:58:23 EDT 2003

Jesse wrote the following:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 03:40:28AM -0700, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:
> > -- When pasting text from some output log, lines are broken
> (terminal width
> >    is normally 80 symbols, not 72)
>
> A valid concern.

This tends to be even worse for us, since we often have log lines that are
longer than 80 symbols, in fact we almost never have have log lines less
than that...

> > -- Opera browser inserts extra linebreaks
> >    http://list.opera.com/pipermail/opera-users/2003-March/018395.html
>
> I'm sorry your browser is broken.

One bright note however, I just got opera 7.11 (thank you apt! :-)) and the
test on the following line shows that it does not seem to still have the
problem...

> > -- This tag is not HTML 4.01 standard
> >    http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/forms/_TEXTAREA_WRAP.html
>
> It is, however, supported by just about every browser on the planet.

One other point to consider is that at least some people (ie. us :-)) use
RT3 primarily as a web interface, with e-mail notification. Since most mail
clients are also smart enough to wrap long lines, and it tends to look
better when you let the browser deal with the wrapping for the web view,
would it be possible to change the WARP=HARD to WRAP=SOFT?

> > Maybe another configuration option would be useful?
>
> A local /Elements/MessageBox overlay sounds like it would fix this
> behaviour for your local site.

This is of course also possible :-)

To do this, we just copy the current share/html/Elements/MessageBox into
local/html/Elements/MessageBox and then change the WRAP= line?

Thanks in advance,
Paul