[rt-devel] Language setting and directions of the RT UI

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Jun 26 14:07:43 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:21:04AM +0000, Ron wrote:
> I am working on the RT (arch 3.0.2) User interface trying to make it RTL
> (right to left).
> The idea is to (just like in l10n efforts) read the proffered language
> and then display the user interface in a right to left direction if the
> language setting is that of a RTL language (namely hebrew and arabic).
> my question is; where are the sessions language setting stored? can I
> read this information from a variable?

I believe autrijus and I had talked about a pseudo-string in the
localized message catalog called "TextDirection" that would default to
LtoR but could be set to RtoL for languages that needed that.   One
thing I'm really just not sure how to handle within RT is what happens
if most of the UI is RtoL, but you've got embedded english text that
should be LtoR.

	How much experience do you have with standards based translation
of apps into something that will work properly RtoL? I'd be curious to
hear what techniques you'll be using.

	Jesse

> also, I have noticed that the Elements/TitleBoxStart  object holds two
> places for a right and left title. how do I specify a right title?

That's so there can be buttons in the titlebar. It's really, really not
what you want here.

	Best,
	Jesse