[rt-devel] (no subject)

Thomas Whitney trwhitney at centervision.com
Fri Mar 14 11:41:40 EST 2003

Hi,

I want to implement a job tracking and database publishing system and it is
going to be a fairly large task.  Therefore getting started on the right
path in the beginning is important.

 My company does short run 4 color digital printing.  Because it is short
urn we handle multiple jobs every day.  I developed an online bidding
system; it use Apache, mod_perl, and  mysql.  Now I would like to move to
tracking jobs online; first, for internal purposes -- it would make the
workflow much easier to follow -- and later for customers to view the status
of their jobs on the web.  Each bid has about 38 data fields associated with
it and each job will have a few more fields along with an image file in the
form of a pdf.

I would like to create the job once approved from the bid.  Then each job
needs to be tracked through production with operators at each stage being
able to update its status or add notes.  After the job is finished an
invoice would be printed to go out with the job.  Web based applications are
good for this because we use Mac's and PC's, and both must be able to have
access to that job.

I currently use Template::Toolkit along with a few other Apache modules to
deal with the bidding. I could do the entire programming myself-no single
thing it is that tough, though it would be helpful to have an existing
framework within which to develop.
I am looking at Request Tracker for this project and would appreciate any
feedback from users as to how well it would fit this project.

Thanks,
Thomas Whitney