[Rt-devel] Re: Who should call RT::EmailParser::LookupExternalUserInfo()?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Aug 26 06:35:11 EDT 2004

[Ruslan U. Zakirov]
> I think that RT::User object shouldn't call any sub from EmailParser
> namespace. LookupExternalUserInfo should be moved from mail parser
> code may be into User class or into new package that would contain
> helper functions for external users database handling.
>
> Another reason why LookupExternalUserInfo should be moved from mail
> parser is that this function is general for all interfaces, web, mail or
> other doesn't matter.

I agree that it is probably misplaced in EmailParser.  It would also
be usefull if the function wasn't a member function ($self is unused,
and not really usefull).

I suspect the RT::User class is the best place for this.  With the
proper hooks in MailFrom.pm and User_Overlay.pm, I would get LDAP
authentication and information transwer by only making a
User_Local.pm.  That would be good. :)

(Even better would be to get the LDAP support integrated into the
official RT distribution.  Would it be possible for the RT maintainers
to let me know what would be needed for this to happen?