[Rt-devel] Query Builder, Saved Searches

Josh Levinger josh.levinger at dartware.com
Thu Jul 1 14:46:07 EDT 2004

I apologize for the somewhat ornery first message. As I get used to the
Query Builder, it does start to make more sense. But some documentation
would help reduce the initial shock.

> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:58:38AM -0400, Josh Levinger wrote:
>> I've just upgraded to 3.2.0, in the hopes of loving the new powerful
>> query builder. Unfortunately, all the old bookmarks I made are broken,
>> and the queries must be rebuilt. This is understandable, but the new
>> search interface is taking some getting used to.
>>
>> Is query builder documented somewhere? The "or" button doesn't seem to
>> create an OR query, and it takes skillful use of the left/right
>> buttons
>> to simplify the search logic. I'm sure this is a more powerful,
>> extensible search mechanism, but it does precisely what I tell it to,
>> not what I want it to. The old feature divined what I wanted, and just
>> found the tickets.
>
> As a consequence, the old search interface  couldn't do what many users
> wanted or expected it to do.  We _are_ working to improve the new query
> builder interface and  are happy to hear stories of what searches
> you're
> trying to build and what RT's making hard for you. So far, it's "more
> right" than the old way for the queries that we do and the queries that
> users we work with closely do..
>

>> I understand
>> that the searches can be saved _inside_ RT, but this takes at least
>> three clicks, and three slow reloads, to get to. Can I somehow put the
>> "bookmarkable url" back?
>
> Sure. When looking at a search results page, you can bookmark the "Show
> Results" menu item in the left hand menu bar. That will work exactly
> like the old "Bookmark this search".  In 3.2.1, we'll add that as
> another link at the bottom of the page.

Thank you! This solved my problem. It will take a while to rebuild the
old searches, but at least they can be saved once built.

>> I've gotten the attached error several times when merely poking around
>> the Query Builder, and not asking it to do anything out of the
>> ordinary. It appears to be an unimplemented attribute, unrelated to
>> any
>> of my onsite customizations.
>>

> In the future, could you please attach errors in plain text? Having to
> download the attachment and then open it up in an RTF reader can be
> somewhat of a pain.   That attribute is something that _does_ exist in
> the core release of RT 3.2. Can you give us a click-trail to reproduce
> it? Can you reproduce it on rt3.fsck.com?

Sorry about that. I'll attach all future errors in plain text. I forget
that the rest of the world doesn't use Mac OS X and TextEdit.

The error doesn't appear to be reproduceable. It happens perhaps one
quarter of the time when loading the Query Builder page. The way to
make it go away is just to reload the page.  Sometimes it appears as
the entire page, and sometimes just in the lower right hand corner
where the "load saved search" menu normally is. I haven't seen it on
rt3.fsck.com, so it may just be something with my configuration.

Additionally, when I hit the Offline Edits page, /var/logs/system.log
fills with this:
---
Jul  1 12:12:40 jig RT: Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.)
or string at /opt/rt3/lib/RT/Action/CreateTickets.pm line 1057.
(/opt/rt3/lib/RT.pm:250)
---

Thanks for the explanation regarding the new search. Having
bookmarkable searches is a critical feature for me, and I was very
pleased to see it still exists.

Josh Levinger
Dartware, LLC
www.dartware.com