[Rt-devel] RT design question

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Nov 22 13:01:28 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 12:18:03PM -0500, Todd Chapman wrote:
> I guess my understanding of normalization isn't so hot. If
> there are 4 ticket role groups for every ticket, why would
> storing them in the Tickets table be bad? Those groups are
> unique to that ticket...

And they could be easily found by joining to the relevant other tables.
It's worth reading up on the various "normal forms" for databases.
When doing actual application development, there is sometimes a reason
to denormalize, but absent anything else, the "Don't Repeat Yourself"
principal should lead you to trying to avoid things that don't need to be
there.

Also, what happens when you finally get around to adding that fifth role
or fully generalizing roles?

	Jesse