[Rt-devel] A new design question

Todd Chapman todd at chaka.net
Tue Mar 22 14:15:44 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:06:45PM -0300, Lucas F. Rosada wrote:
> Todd,
>
>    I'm not criticizing RT structure, quite to the contrary, it was the
> best on which I developed! But I think that the model of code into the
> database, although to be practical when developing scrips, templates,
> etc into the web interface, it is more usual develop code inside an IDE
> or any other editor.
>    A second problem consist in the maintenance of the quoted resources
> (scripts, etc): for each code that lives into the database you want to
> change, you have to wait the webserver response and, when the page
> arrives, there isn't any practicity to alter the code.
>    Another benefit to us, developers: we could keep our customizations
> fully into a CVS repository!
>
>    RT is an success system for its users but, on the other hand, there
> is few confort to the developer to extend it and give continuity to the
> project.
>
>    The RT idealizers may think: "Oh, God! This guy is trying to change
> the way RT do the thinks!", but, because it's an free software and it is
> always in develpment and perfectioning state, threat these thread as one
> informal conversation about software structure and how could apply these
> techniches and improvements to RT, making it each time better!

You can do all the things you want with RT as it is. You
are looking at the web interface when you should be digging
into the code. You can keep your code in CVS, update it
in the database. Test using RT API scripts (not scrips). The
debugger is there for you.

The web interface stuff was developed to make RT customization
easier for the non-developer, but the API can be used to do
those same things.

-Todd